|AIR, GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS(1)|
|Greenhouse gas emissions, direct (scope 1)||tonnes CO2e||535,233||422,041|
|Intensity of greenhouse gas emissions, direct (scope 1)||tonnes CO2e/m3||0.1074||0.0883|
|Greenhouse gas emissions, indirect (scope 2)||tonnes CO2e||171,486||132,751|
|Intensity of greenhouse gas emissions, indirect (scope 2)||tonnes CO2e/m3||0.0344||0.0278|
|Total gas flared||e3m3||15,831||7,132|
|Total gas vented||e3m3||582||392|
|Nitrogen oxides (NOx)||tonnes NOx||3,961||4,513|
|Sulphur dioxide (SO2)||tonnes SO2||1,505||606|
|Methane emissions||tonnes CH4||3,860||4,961|
|ENERGY, WATER USE, RELEASES|
|Fresh water withdrawal||m3||730,000||1,379,515|
|Non-potable water withdrawal||m3||0||5,368|
|Releases - number of regulatory reportable spills||#||32||21|
|Releases - volume of regulatory reportable spills||m3||424.8||69.5|
|Well reclamation certificates received||#||41||87|
Policies and Stewardship:
- Paramount’s environmental policies and programs are overseen by the Environmental, Health and Safety Committee of our Board of Directors. Paramount's key health and safety polices, programs and practices are described in our Annual Information Form and on our website.
- Paramount actively monitors fugitive emissions at all operated wells, pipelines, and facilities in accordance with provincial regulations.
- Paramount maintains a Methane Reduction Retrofit Compliance Plan designed to lower methane emissions in accordance with Directive 60 of the Alberta Energy Regulator.
- In 2018 and 2019 Paramount replaced approximately 1,700 high-bleed controllers at various sites with modern low-bleed units. These low-bleed controllers are expected to eliminate approximately 120,000 tonnes of GHG emissions annually from these locations (some of which were sold in December 2019).
- Paramount has a dedicated Water Management team responsible for developing short- and long-term strategies of sourcing water in an environmentally responsible way.
- Paramount collaborates with energy industry partners to reduce the footprint necessary for water storage.
Land & Reclamation:
- Paramount participates in the Area Based Closure program introduced by the Alberta Energy Regulator that allows companies to approach abandonment and reclamation activities in an efficient and cost-effective manner by targeting efforts in a concentrated area.
- Paramount’s strategy is to utilize the advantages of the Area Based Closure program by focusing its abandonment and reclamation activities on the Hawkeye field, which was shut-in in 2018, and the Zama field, which was shut-in in 2019.
(1) No single industry standard system for calculating and aggregating GHG, NOX, SO2 emissions and other sustainability metrics exists. Therefore, such information may not be comparable with similar information reported by other companies.
(2) Abandonment and reclamation spending plus area closure costs.